WILD PLUM JAM WITH BOAR BACON & JALAPEÑOS
Updated: Nov 30, 2018
If you are a whitetail hunter, late August and early September offer an opportunity to lay up some wild plum preserves that will pair with your fresh venison roast the way a big, ballsy cigar mates with Chattanooga Whiskey 1816 Reserve. On the other hand, if your freezer still has hold-outs from last years harvest, this recipe offers a perfect opportunity to make room for your 2017 Boone and Crockett. When your preserves are finished slather the sweet, salty heat on a slice of crusty homemade bread.
Here's what you'll need:
2 ½ to 3 pounds of wild plums
2 to 3 cups water
5 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
3 to 4 jalapeno peppers sliced and diced fine
¼ pound crispy peppered domestic pork bacon, or ¼ pound wild boar Irish bacon
1. Wash the plums. Put in a saucepan
2. Cover plums just to top with cold water
3. Add sugar and salt.
4. Simmer the mixture until the skins split and release the pits.
5. With a slotted spoon remove pits as the bubble to the top.
6. Continue simmering the concoction until the juice thickens on a dipped spoon without dripping.
7. Remove to a colander
and drain over large bowl.
8. Remove any remaining pits and squish juice, pulp, and skins through.
9. Place half of the diced jalapeno peppers/bacon in the bottom of 8oz. sterilized jelly jars.
10. Fill jelly jars to ½ inch below the jar tops. Sprinkle the remaining half of jalapenos, or bacon on top.
11. Seal jars and place in a pot. Fill with water to cover approx 1” above the cover
12. Bring water to a simmer and simmer for approx 10 minutes.
13. Take jars from water bath and place on a flat surface until the lids seal.